Black Musli is also known as Curculigoorchioides, and it hails from temperate regions of India, specifically Deccan plateau and Chota-Nagapur plateau. It is an herb belonging to Hypoxidaceae family.
Ayurveda has explained the medicinal properties of Black Musli in detail in many of its text. The Unani system of medicine has made this herb one of the major ingredients of most of their medicinal preparations.
The rhizome has been found widely useful for many medicinal purposes because of its unique properties. Black Musli is an important herb in the ancient China, widely used for herbal preparations.
Medicinal Properties of Black Musli
Ayurveda acharyas explain the medicinal properties of black musli as follows
Medicinal properties of Black Musli has been explained by Ayurveda to be bitter-sweet with its unique lasting sweet aftertaste even after digestion processes. Another property is the stickiness (known as snighdha, picchila) of the tuber which is weighty to digestion. These and many other properties of Black Musli help boost Kapha and as well as controls Pitta and Vata.
Black Musli in the Ayurveda preparations is used to treat various health issues. The key applications are described below:
- For respiratory issues: This herb is useful for treating some respiratory problems such as asthma, chronic cough, and bronchitis when used together with other herbs.
- For urinary anomalies: The herb enhances the urinary system resistance to infections by functioning as a diuretic.
- For digestion: The preparation of Black Musli is an effective remedy to treat hepatitis and also helps revitalize and regulate the function of the liver. Black Musli functions as a stimulant, and it is an excellent appetizer helps to normalize digestion in the stomach. This herb preparation has also been discovered to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and piles.
- For skin problems: The Black Musli tuber is ground into powder and used externally to treat various skin diseases without any side effects.
- For reproduction: The Black Musli’s aphrodisiac properties have been well clarified by Ayurveda in its texts to boost semen quality and quantity. Its preparations are extensively employed in curing erectile dysfunction, low sperm motility and sperm count and as well as low libido in women.
Black Musli has also been researched to be effective in enhancing general health system referred to as “rasayana” in addition to the above medicinal benefits. It increases the immunity levels and strengthens the body.
In the recent research, new medicinal properties of Black Musli have been discovered and the key ones are as follows:
- The herb is an excellent anti-oxidant
- It effectively prevents postmenopausal osteoporosis
- There are antibacterial properties in its rhizomes
Indian’s herbal healers are using varieties of Musli to boost men sexual energy and also find the mixture of this herb and shatavari effective to increase women libido for active sex.
Consequent upon the above, it is glaring that the uses and benefits of Black Musli herb cannot be over-emphasized and efforts must be made to preserve and conserve it for medicinal purposes. However, this herb is encountering threat of extinction because of livestock over-grazing as well as the activities of the over-zealous pharmacists by grazing it without replacement. It is high time a giant step be taken to educate and enlighten the public for the sustenance of the herb by farming and conserve the unique herb.
Buy Ayurvedic Preparations Containing Ashwagandha