Grape vines are in the category of fruit berries that are found clustered together in 50 to 300. In Ayurveda, it is known as Draksha with its scientific name “Vitis Vinifera” and widely grown in many parts of the world such as Western India, Turkey, Portugal, Kashmir, Morocco, and Central Europe.
The trees of grape have long, and deciduous woody stems deepened to the ground. The tree has the tendency to live longer to reach up to 35m if properly managed. It is characterized by long and palmate green leaves, about 5 to 7 lobed arranged in an alternate pattern on the woody stem. The fruit is almost globular with 6mm in diameter housing the seeds and turned dark purple when it ripens.
Grape vines are equipped with numerous medicinal properties accompanied by numerous health benefits. It is known for its ability to increase moistness of the body tissues as well as softens it. The fruit was given different names due to one reason or the other; “Mrudweeka” due to its moistness properties, “Gosthani” due to its cow mammary gland-like shape, and much more. The medicinal properties and their associated health benefits will be highlighted in this content as we continue.
Chemical Composition of Grapes
Grapes are considered to be one of the well equipped nutritious fruits in the family, having about 70 – 80% water as well as numerous inorganic and organic compounds. They contain healthy sugars, nitrogenous compounds, organic acids, aroma compounds, phenolic compounds, pectic substances, minerals, and a good source of the following:
- Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, C, E, K
- Dietary fibres, and much more
Ayurveda Medicinal Properties and Benefits of Grapes
Grapes contain many essential properties which make them stand out amongst other fruits and also loved by all. They are known for their sweetness and taste to act as body coolants. Grapes are heavy to digest, soft, and increase the body tissues moistness, and as a result of these properties, grapes relieve Pitta and Vata. This function makes this fruit relevant as a remedy in Pitta and Vata related diseases. The major health benefits of grapes are discussed as follows based on each system of the body:
- Circulatory system: Grapes act as cardiac tonic and stimulant to enhance the heart muscles and boost the blood nutrient components referred to as hemoglobin. Because of its ability to alleviate Pitta and Vata, grapes have been researched to be helpful in treating diseases which occur as a result of Pitta and Rakta vitiation such as allergies and gout.
- Digestive system: Grape berries are widely employed in helping digestive disorders such as jaundice, constipation, and thirst due to its medicinal property of Pitta and Vata to control the digestive system activities and functions.
- Nervous system: Grapes have been recommended as nerving due to their capability to alleviated Vata and this also makes the fruits act as a brain tonic to boost brain power.
- Reproductive system: Grapes are tagged “Vrishya” because they are helpful in premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction. They assist in enhancing the fertility of both men and women by boosting semen quantity and quality, sperm count and motility as well as effective in strengthening the female reproductive system.
- Respiratory System: These berries contain ingredient to make them a great food to strengthen the lungs, and this made them relevant as the main ingredients in the preparations of Ayurveda medicine to cure bronchitis, cough, tuberculosis, and much more.
- Urinary System: They are equipped with diuretic properties to help boost the volume and frequency of urine, and aid soothes the inner bladder layers. Grapes have been recommended in cystitis and micturition.
- Impacts on skin: Regular consumption of grapes helps to boost skin immunity and prevent various skin related diseases. They contribute to reducing skin allergies and burning sensations.
- General health: Apart from above health benefits, grapes are a good source of nutrients to improve the general health of patients for a quick recovery. They are also helped to people who want to build up body bulk in a healthy way.
Having explored significant medicinal properties and health benefits of grapes, it will be discovered that no amount of words can describe the use of grapes, as it touches every important system in the body ranging from circulatory, digestive, respiratory, reproduction, nervous to urinary system, as well as their effects on skin and overall health of the body. Grapes are one of the promising and well-equipped fruits that must be incorporated in the daily diet. Try it out for a good health condition.